Friday, May 22, 2009

Random notes from my Mother's Day trip to Tulsa

I decided to take my Mom to Tulsa to see Joyce Meyer at a conference. On our way there, my friend called me and said he was going to be at the same event we were, and asked if we wanted him to save us a seat. My Mom was already tired and said, "no thanks". So, we kept going and talking, then my Mom said, "If you want to go, you can. I'll just drop you off then he can take you home." We talked a bit more, and I ended up calling him back and changing my mind! I thought I was going to be late, but I got there as the 1st song by Delirious? was playing. I'd never seen Delirious? before...have to say, awesome worship! Joyce was fun to see live! You would think that this would be an event with mostly women, but it was pretty well mixed. Actually, I didn't even sit next to a lady...Cool conference altogether. There were people outside with huge signs that said, "Joyce sends people to hell" and other things like that. The weird part was, the part that said Joyce was taped on or something...! She mentioned it that night and said it looked like it was Velcro-ed on!

Anyway, so that night was awesome and my friend actually rededicated his life to Christ. Way cool. When the conference let out, we walked out with the masses of people and kept walking and walking....and walking! Slowly there were less and less people around us...there were weird people and bums, mind you. If I had gone that night with my Mom, I'd have called a cab or something, but because I was with Levi, I was pretty content and realized that if something happened, we'd both beat up whoever came our way. Yeah, that's comforting. Well, turns out Levi parked more than a dozen blocks away. It was nice to walk and all the crosswalks turned as soon as we got to them. We passed a guy who was by the curb, chewing tobacco, smoking and on the phone. He was acting so passive and cool. He said to his bud on the phone in the most serious tone, "Spitting. I love spitting." I had the hardest time holding in the laughter!! Levi was like, "What?" I had a hard time regaining my composure...ah, good times.

The next morning I got up at 7...so much for my day off! We had to work out the shower times with the people who we stayed with...I had more time while I was there to study the Word and memorize scripture. I was grateful to get that time. The bed I stayed in was on drugs or something. It was so high...come on, that was funny.

So we went to the morning session and had a great time. My Mom loved being there. That's all I wanted. Afterward, we had time to just roam the town - My Mom's favorite thing to do! We went to lunch at Casa Bonita's and had some memories rushing back from years ago...they didn't have the buffalo head in the lobby though. That's sad. Here's a peek inside: Mexican style window ledge...Street lights inside love it!

We had some kind of nacho salad in the rain forest/cave place. Of course, the waterfall was loud! Can't forget the sopha-pias! There were awesome and sticky as ever! By the way, they have the same tables as Chili's...just sayin.

It's dark, but this is the flag to tell them, "Hey, I want something else to make my hands sticky...now!"

So we were shopping for hours...somehow my Mom never realizes the time that passes...hmm. We dropped by sonic later and the building was bigger than the space for cars...it looked weird.

Big Lots! They have the weirdest things! I found cool Wii accessories, a Sugar ladle and an apple corer , there was a wagon wheel randomly there as well . Water bottles bigger than your head , & a vase/decorative something!


As we left, this is what was in the case:
I don't know if you can tell, but there are power tools and motorized toothbrushes right next to each other. Like in the same department. That's funny.



I liked the feel of Tulsa. It had been a while since I'd been there. Although, I've decided I don't want to live there again. Yes, I miss the big city and crazy driving, but I don't miss the anger, confusion, self-centeredness, and smoke! More and more I am realizing the different cultures between two places, even a few hours away from each other. I like the kindness and sincerity of the people here. Also, I know my way around here! God also opened my eyes. He's been doing that every time I go back home. I saw more mattresses under bridges and everyone acting like these homeless people's situations were normal. Made me cry.

One thing I do miss about Tulsa is Thrift Stores. Hands down, that is the one thing that makes me sad. Growing up, that was where I got all my clothes. Here, there's just not great stores like that. I got a summer dress and some wicked Mannheim Steamroller Christmas tapes. Yes, you heard me right, tapes. As in cassettes. I found 3 of them!! Awesome. On the DL, I found a Rick Astley tape... and no, I didn't get it!

Driving around, I got some awesome ideas for a commercial for church to promote our newest event. Hopefully I'll get to that soon! Also, I realized another reason I like water is because you can't water down water. How about that for deep?

Of course we stopped by Fuddrucker's (best hamburgers ever!) and Freckle's (best concrete's ever!) Had a Razzamatazz! Apparently, that's cheesecake and raspberries - yum!

I keep talking about getting a haircut or trim and never do. It could have been the sugar in my system, but why shift the blame? I saw a huge sign that said "Discount Haircuts!" and that was convincing of a good job, so we went...The place was called HAIRCUTS NOW! A little pushy, don't you think? So, I've been wanting bangs for a while and the length was getting weird, so I went for it! The lady asked a few questions about the cut then, snip! By the way...I've never had my hair cut at a salon before! I know, crazy! My Mom always cut my hair, no joke. So this was a new experience in more than one way. The lady tried to make small talk and asked me what I was up to. This is how the convo went:

"You mean today or in general?"

"Both, what do you do? Are you a student?"

"Oh, no. I actually live in Ponca City. We're in town for a conference. The one with Joyce Meyer."

"Yeah? I heard about that. Is it good?"

"Yes! It's free too!"

"So, what do you do when your not on vacation?"

"Actually, I'm a DJ."

"Really? Cool. (Long Pause) So like at a bar or...?"

"Umm, no. At a Christian Radio Station."

"OH! I was way off!"

"That's alright!"

"Well, that's really cool. I'm sure that's fun."

"It is, different every day, but fun!"

So then she just asked me questions about my hair and stuff and then i was done! Quick! It was cool to be able to share what I do and what I'm doing and be a witness without even trying! I hope she went that night.

The cut turned out well, I think. There are a few people around me calling it "Killer Bangs"...sounds so violent.

So that was my weekend. Fun, exhausting, long and memorable. My Mom said her favorite part was being able to hang out with her daughter. Awe...good. That was the point.

No comments: