Thursday, October 8, 2009

You Are Loved

I've been thinking about a friend recently that I've lost touch with. We used to hang out all the time. Led worship together, prayed together, laughed together. We had the same interests. My friend went to college a couple years ago, then we hardly ever spoke. My friend calledearlier this year and was crying, broken from the way their life was. They had fallen away from God, rebelled really. They just wanted to live life, experience all the things that they were kept from growing up. They got in a really bad situation and felt stuck. They were ashamed of how they'd changed. I spoke with them and reassured them that God loved them even now. And so did I. God wanted them to come back, broken and ashamed, because He - and only He - could make them whole.

The next time I heard from them, they said they we moving back, got a house and decided to attend a local college. Wow! Talk about a life change. They had visited a church on Easter and God caught them right where they were. Sadly, since moving back I was only able to hang out and catch up one time with my long lost friend. About a month ago they were brought back to my mind and I thought, I need to call them. When I did, their number was disconnected, as well as the other numbers I had for them. I saw a family member of theirs a few weeks ago and asked about my friend. They said they didn't know either. They had moved out of their house, and moved in with a friend somewhere. I was in shock. How could someone make such a dramatic change, then slip back?

I honestly don't know where my friend is right now, how far, or even if they are in trouble and stuck in sin yet again. I do know that the God of the universe love them and still calls them His child.

God knows where my friend is and He knows their heart condition. He also knows how my heart longs for them to be close to Him again.

So many people get in this spot and they don't have anyone to turn to. Rebecca St. James' song "You Are Loved" was on my heart last night as I prayed for my friend.





As Christians, sometimes we get amnesia when it comes to what God has already done for us. We forget what circumstances He has brought us through and turned around for His glory. Maybe try writing down the things that happen to you, so when you get down or caught in sin, you can see proof of what God has done. This way, you never forget.

P.S. Feel free to join me in praying for my friend.

No comments: