Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Because I said so!

I just came back from a week long vacation...with 3 girls...3 & under...!

Just in case you didn't know, 3 year olds have A LOT of questions! Sometimes it's a fun, enlightening experience. Other times it's embarrassing and makes me shake my head!

Sometimes when we tell her to do something, she'll say, "But why?"

She wants to understand our plans, motives, and reasons for everything. If she doesn't understand the logic of something she has a hard time accepting it. She loves us and truly wants to please us, but she wants to know why before she obeys.

She's usually obedient, once she's heard our reasons. Nonetheless, in response to her questioning I often want to use that infamous phrase: "Because I said so!"

I wonder if God ever wants to use that phrase with me?


God is infinitely more patient than I am, and He is abounding in grace and love. He can easily handle all my questions without exasperation. But I wonder if He wishes I would just simply trust and obey - just because He is God.

The scriptures say: "Do what your king commands; you gave a sacred oath of obedience. Don't worryingly second-guess your orders or try to back out when the task is unpleasant. You're serving his pleasure, not yours. The king has the last word. Who dares say to him, 'What are you doing?' Carrying out orders won't hurt you a bit; the wise person obeys promptly and accurately" (Ecclesiastes 8:2-5, MSG).

I want to be that wise person.

So my goal today is not to question God but simply to trust and obey...even if I don't understand why, and even if it's hard to do. I will accept the way that I am made and the plans that He has set before me.

Yes, I know I can take all my questions to the Lord and He will lovingly sift through them, but today I want to obey His commands in swift, willing obedience - just because He said so.


"And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands." 2 John 1:6a