Wednesday, March 23, 2011

So it's that time of year again...

...that time when your age adds a number.

My birthday is 1 week from today. I've never NOT looked forward to a birthday before...until now. Yes, I'm excited to celebrate my life, look at how God has blessed me and is using me, but I'm not excited for the only thing associated with being 21. For the first time, I want to go into hiding on the day of my birth. No, really, I do.



I'm not scared, just tired of the "jokes" and comments about partying, drinking, being crazy for one night, etc.

Excuse me, I'm sorry, but do I live a life that looks like I'd be into that kind of thing? Tell me the truth. Yeah, that's the stereotypical thing most people do...but I'm not most people.

So, yes, I get it. I understand turning 21 brings more temptations and people just expect and are ok with you doing certain things, but no thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I want to party like nothing else and enjoy myself for sure...just not like that.

This is one of my favorite scriptures, which relates very well to this:

"Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what He wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to it's level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you." Romans 12:2


Sorry, but when it comes to turning 21, it's just another birthday. So...Happy Birthday to me :)

5 comments:

Rick Smith said...

This is awesome. I agree with you. When I turned twenty one I went to Buffalo Wild Wings and had like two pitchers of WATER! Those wings were hot! :) I had a lot of fun and didn't have to drink. Stick to that I think it's awesome.

Jenn said...

Haha awesome! I drink that much water anytime I eat out anyway!!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if its the same for you, but for me being a guy there was something else to look forward to when I turned 21 -- My car insurance premiums went down. :)

Hope you have fun on your birthday!

Jenn said...

Aha! Mine are already pretty low since I'm a girl! :) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

No fair! :) Well you could do what I did for my 30th and have fried Rattlesnake for the first and only time with friends. LOL