Thursday, June 23, 2011

I am SO humble! Wait, is that contradictory?

Have you ever noticed how extremely hard it is to be humble? It's just so against our nature.

We are "me" focused and we're always "looking out for #1". We do things to get noticed, or to be praised, or to get respect or just to look good. It's easy but that messes everything up, because our motives are wrong.

So, overall, do we do things to be noticed or do we just notice things we can do? Do we do something because we are loved or to be loved?

If we're not looking at what we can get, could we instead look at what we can give? Be more "God focused" rather than "me focused"?

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7
-Because I am loved, I can humble myself.
-When I’m trying to be loved, I must build myself up to look better.

-Because I am loved, I can cast all my anxiety on Him.
-When I’m trying to be loved, I cast all my anxiety on my performance.


I'm just so tired of living for me and being surrounded by people who do the same. We may be doing "good" things. We may profess to be a Christian, serve at church, volunteer, etc. but if in the meantime we're not acting like Christ at all...what's the point? Something has to change, right? This won't happen overnight, for sure, but take it one day at a time. Have a "humble sandwich" every day for lunch or something like that...in little bits, we'll get there. We may miss our "Pride Pie" that we usually eat and may even sneak in a few bites of it, but soon, if we keep at it and see how much it's needed, humbleness can become second nature.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.” 1 Corinthians 13:4

What reminds you to be humble? What's the hardest part for you?


*By the way, I'm still working on this myself :)

No comments: