Friday, October 14, 2011

Passion: Purity

Something that I've always been passionate about is purity. Honestly, I haven't been as vocal about it in the last few years. No particular reason; I'm still passionate and practicing purity, but I guess I just toned down my bugle horn about it.

Almost 10 years ago, I went through 8 weeks of classes, studying, and completing a course through my church where I ultimately stood up in front of a few thousand people and vowed to stay pure. I was specific in the multiple areas where I would stay pure in my life. This is something I didn't take lightly. I'm sure TONS of churches do this. I'm sure to lot's of tweenies and teenagers after a little while, it's no big deal, but to me, it always has been. I've kept that promise, because I took it to heart and I recommitted it everyday to God. It was, and still is a daily choice.

Now, I'm not perfect, but again, this wasn't something I took lightly. I was a very old 12 year old.

So as I'm coming up on almost 10 years "clean" so to speak, I'm dedicating the next 10 to Him now. I'm planning ahead because I'm a planner and a freak and that's what I do. It's by the grace of God that I am where I am today and 10 years from now I want to be as blown away as I am today, if not more.

I got a ring when I was 12 and I've been wearing it ever since. For this "dedication" I just talked myself into buying a new one. When it arrived, I had to talk myself into actually taking the old one off. It was quite the pep talk. Guess you had to be there.
















So, here's my dedication to my Savior. The God who saved me. Who caught me at a young age. Saved me from having to go through awful things to find Him. Yeah, my testimony is kind of vanilla flavored, but I'm crying as I type this because I'm thinking of all of the good & bad He's brought me through. Just as I'm sure it's true in your life, you have no idea what He's done for me!!


I hope you have a passion for something.

And if it needs to be renewed, don't wait, renew it!

5 comments:

Elizabeth Pruett said...

Commitment like this isn't the decision of a moment. Like you said, "It was, and still is, a daily choice." Thanks for sharing, and it is a lovely ring!

Rick Smith said...

Awesome. We need to make a stand to stay pure. It's great that you have all this time. That is not an easy thing to do in the world we live in today.

Jenn said...

Rickles!! Haven't heard from you in a long time! Thanks for the comment, though I'm not sure what you meant by 'all this time'? It's not easy, and definitely not popular, but I've gotta stick to it.

Rick Smith said...

I meant it's hard to stay pure and it's awesome that you have! :)I know it's not easy and definitely not popular in college so that is why it's awesome that you are doing this.

Anonymous said...

Jenn im doing the same thing not dating stay pure. the whole thing. Thanks for this blog post it is very uuplifting to hear