Monday, October 1, 2012

Winta's Story



On my recent trip to Ethiopia, Africa a dream came true. I got to meet the little 5 year old girl I sponsor through Mission of Mercy, Winta.

This was the biggest thing I was looking forward to on the trip.

I knew I would instantly be drawn to her, but I didn’t realize the instant love that would overtake both of us! I saw her across the way and just knew it was her. I got to introduce myself to her and her Aunt. I gave her a present with all kinds of toys, play dough, hair things, etc. As we were opening it, I was told Winta means “Gift”!

I talked with her about school, her church, her family and what she likes to do. She asked me about my family and my job too. She seemed shy at first and the translator told me she wanted to look at my face but was too shy to. I told her she could stare at me and it would be ok!


Got to color with her, dance, sing and play with her for a couple hours before they had to leave. She was becoming more than a picture on my refrigerator. This was a real child with a real family and a real need.

We took lots of pictures and gave lots of hugs, then they turned to go. Her Aunt came back and through a translator said, “I have to tell you something before we go.” She said, “Winta is an only child and her Mom is a single Mom. She was a prostitute to take care of Winta. Because you sponsor Winta, her Mom no longer lives that lifestyle.”

That’s where I lost it. I just cried and hugged her and said, “It’s because of Jesus!”

I had faith that each month when I send money that I’m helping a child halfway around the world. On this trip and through that conversation, I got a heart-knowledge that God is actively working through the little that I give every month. It’s changing this child’s present, future and changing her family too!


We never know the full extent of what God will do when we’re willing. All the long flights, few hours of sleep, culture shock, etc. was worth it. Seeing firsthand what God is doing through Mission of Mercy, and choosing to do through me, is still blessing me today.

You can make a difference and sponsor a child here: http://www.missionofmercy.org/



No comments: