Monday, December 17, 2012

I'm learning

Over the last couple months I've secretly thought my best days were behind me. That's dangerous.

I would look back at a picture, video or talk about something we did and think, "Man, things were REALLY good back then." "Why didn't anyone tell me to enjoy that more?" "Why didn't I soak in the moment more?"


Years ago I wondered where I would be today...and I got here one day at a time. When I look back, I see how I got from there to here.

That's the thing about life. It's ordinary days strung together, with a few big events in between. It's gradual, slow and sometimes mundane.

So, if I look back and think things were pretty great 10 years ago...2 years ago...even 2 months ago, things must be pretty great NOW, too.

Right?

I'm just so busy in the "now", I don't notice how blessed I am. I don't take extra time for hugs and kind words. I don't realize how many people around me love me like crazy. I don't notice the little impacts God makes through me every day. I don't notice the lingering smiles just because I'm in the room.

I don't notice, because I'm in the now and it's so subtle.

It's more sad though when I look back and THEN I notice...I missed it.

Don't miss right now. Don't miss what God's doing.

What He's teaching you through your current heartache. How He's growing you today. How you have a better attitude today than you did yesterday. How He's maturing you and increasing your compassion. How much your love grows for your family when you're all together.

Today counts...don't miss it.

No comments: