Tuesday, October 22, 2013

3 things you don't know about me

I have a hard time remembering everyone has their own story...everyone.

Did you catch that?

That short-tempered cashier, that rushed waitress and yes, even that person in traffic who is so mad they're making you mad. All of these and more have their own "reasons" why they're at the place they are with the attitude they have. I'm not saying it's ok to blame your circumstances (or lack thereof) for your bad behavior, but when we take a second to see where someone is coming from, it REALLY helps our perspective change to give them a little grace.

If I forget this, surely someone else does too. So, in my attempt to help, and be transparent in the process, here's 3 things you don't know about me that have impacted the way I am today:

1. I've been to a lot of funerals. A lot. Probably more than the number of years I've been alive. That's a lot of loss; a lot of grieving. I still remember carrying around pictures of my best friend who died when I was 6, and that's just one of many.

2. I was bullied in school, complete with death threats. I still remember her face and wondering what I did to make her hate me so much.

3. I never really had friends. My parent's friends had all boys. It wasn't until I was about 12 before I had my first female friend. We moved when I was 15 and completely lost any friends I did have.

So there's my sob story :) Honestly though, these are just 3 things in my life that I can look back on and easily see what it's done to my character, not to mention the little day-to-day things that try to steal my joy and attention.

These types of things don't define us, but they sure do shape us one way or the other into who we are today.

Just something to think about as you encounter people today...what might their story be?

What's your story?

No comments: