Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sitting on the sidelines

Have you heard Mandisa's new song "Waiting for Tomorrow"? Here's the Chorus:

Can't spend my whole life wastin'
Everything I know I've been given
'Cause you've made for so much more than
Sittin' on the side lines
I don't wanna look back and wonder
If good enough could've been better
Everyday's a day to start over
So, why am I waiting for tomorrow


I love that. Especially the line "You've made me for so much more than sittin' on the sidelines".

You know who sabotages myself more than anyone? Me.

I'll be the first to give you a lengthy list of why I can't do something; why I'm not qualified enough, pretty enough, talented enough...it's easy for me to sit on the sidelines.

I'm also a planner; I like to know what is going to happen when, where, how, etc. I like to play it safe...but that usually means taking myself out of the game and sitting on the sidelines.

Maybe with my decision years ago to wait for "Mr. Right", I've started waiting (or maybe stopping altogether) in other areas too.

That's not necessarily a good thing.

All I know is that I count myself out in almost every situation before I even have a chance to think about it.

Why do I do that?

I've just sat on the sidelines, figuring- no, KNOWING other people would be better at what God was calling me to do or be. The problem is that's just not true. God has called me to a specific plan; it was meant just for me.

The next line of the song is probably just as important: "I don't wanna look back and wonder if good enough could've been better".

Ouch. Wouldn't that stink if I looked back 20+ years from now and wished that I wasn't sitting on the sidelines, although safe, not doing the things I knew God had called me to?


So, here's my first step in everyday choosing not to sit on the sidelines. Get in the game and do what God has called me to, whatever that is.


Join me?

QUESTION:
Where do you need to jump in the "game"?

No comments: