Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Do you have a "list"?

Do you have standards? Sure you do, right? How firm are they though? Can they be swayed by a good argument or enough begging? I hope not. Your morals, standards, beliefs...that's what sets you apart and help you stay on the right path. We all have those "lists", even if just in our minds, of what we will and won't put up with; what we will and won't be a part of. Maybe we should follow David's example, though, and write it out. Like in Psalm 101:2-8, make a proclamation; our manifesto:


2 I will be careful to lead a blameless life—
when will you come to me?

I will conduct the affairs of my house
with a blameless heart.
3 I will not look with approval
on anything that is vile.

I hate what faithless people do;
I will have no part in it.
4 The perverse of heart shall be far from me;
I will have nothing to do with what is evil.

5 Whoever slanders their neighbor in secret,
I will put to silence;
whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart,
I will not tolerate.

6 My eyes will be on the faithful in the land,
that they may dwell with me;
the one whose walk is blameless
will minister to me.

7 No one who practices deceit
will dwell in my house;
no one who speaks falsely
will stand in my presence.

8 Every morning I will put to silence
all the wicked in the land;
I will cut off every evildoer
from the city of the LORD.


He clearly said I will not be a part of:
  • Vile things
  • Faithlessness
  • Perversity
  • Evil
  • Slander
  • Pride & Haughtiness
  • Deceit
  • Wickedness
Ultimately, you will get what you value. Value good things, and say no to things that destroy.

To keep a good character, what are the things you refuse to be a part of? What's your "list"?




No comments: